Monday, December 7, 2009

Ignorance and Want


Ignorance and Want


The Christmas Season is upon us and one of my favorite annual traditions is reading the original Charles Dickens classic, A Christmas Carol. In addition to reading the famous short story, I also try and re-watch nearly every version of the tale I can find on the television. My favorite version is the Patrick Stewart/TNT version. This timeless tale helps put me in the right mood for the season and provides focus to what can otherwise be a hectic time of the year. As I was reading the tale this year I came across a part of the story where Scrooge is solicited for donations for the poor that struck me differently than in previous readings. I have quoted below:

Scrooge and Marley's, I believe," said one of the gentlemen, referring to his list. "Have I the pleasure of addressing Mr. Scrooge, or Mr. Marley?"


"Mr. Marley has been dead these seven years," Scrooge replied. "He died seven years ago, this very night."


"We have no doubt his liberality is well represented by his surviving partner," said the gentleman, presenting his credentials.


It certainly was; for they had been two kindred spirits. At the ominous word "liberality," Scrooge frowned, and shook his head, and handed the credentials back.


"At this festive season of the year, Mr. Scrooge," said the gentleman, taking up a pen, "it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and Destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."


"Are there no prisons?" asked Scrooge.


"Plenty of prisons," said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.


"And the Union workhouses?" demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"


"They are. Still," returned the gentleman, "I wish I could say they were not."


"The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?" said Scrooge.


"Both very busy, sir."


"Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course," said Scrooge. "I'm very glad to hear it."


"Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude," returned the gentleman, "a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?"


"Nothing!" Scrooge replied.


"You wish to be anonymous?"


"I wish to be left alone," said Scrooge. "Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned -- they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there."


"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."


"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population. Besides -- excuse me -- I don't know that."


"But you might know it," observed the gentleman.


"It's not my business," Scrooge returned. "It's enough for a man to understand his own business, and not to interfere with other people's. Mine occupies me constantly. Good afternoon, gentlemen!" --A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

As I re-read this section I noticed this exchange differently than before. Charles Dickens used his writing as a social commentary on the ills he saw in the industrialized Europe of the 19th century. The author experienced the hardships first hand. Due to financial problems in his own family, he was forced as a boy to work in a factory undergoing the horrible conditions that often accompanied child labor.

Those unable to pay their debts were thrown into prison until the debts were paid in full. Often, the families lived with them in prison and worked during the day in order to pay off the debt. Orphanages were not much better than slave labor camps. Death was often more preferable than the use of the horrible social safety nets of the time.

My previous readings of this and also my knowledge of Dickens other works led me to see this section of the story as a commentary on the conditions of those options for the poor of 19th century England with the intent to show the heartlessness of the various Scrooges around who would rather see the poor suffer than donate a little of their means during the Christmas season.

This time I thought it might be a condemnation of Scrooge’s expectation, and that of his contemporaries of the period, that the responsibility to the poor and downtrodden should be taken care of by government through tax funded institutions. If we can interpret the debtor’s prisons and tax supported union work houses as government run institutions for the poor, which they certainly were, then is it not also a condemnation of the view by many in Victorian times of the expectation that the government should take care of the poor? In learning about the poor laws and work houses of Victorian England it is evident that these government “solutions” to the problem of the poor were not much better than death itself!! Indeed, it appears that Dickens utilizes this idea later in Scrooge’s conversation with the Ghost of Christmas Present about the children named Ignorance and Want.

'Have they no refuge or resource.' cried Scrooge.

'Are there no prisons.' said the Spirit, turning on him


for the last time with his own words. 'Are there no workhouses.'

Here we see Dickens punching home the idea once again. Here Scrooge is asking if there is resource for the poor children when instead he should have been asking what he could do.

As a part of Scrooge’s transformation he comes to realize that not only does he have the means to help others but also that he personally has a responsibility. The idea that his decisions and actions are responsible for the suffering of others hits full force when he asks the ghost what will happen to Tiny Tim in the future. Scrooge comes to realize that his sin is not only being miserly and mean but that he expects the government to take care of the poor.

In the gospel of Jesus Christ we are given a specific charge to take care of the poor. This explains why the church has programs such as fast offering assistance, humanitarian aid, welfare square, and a host of other programs. But we can fall into the same trap as Scrooge if we come to expect that these programs alone absolve us of our responsibility to our fellow man. How are we any better if we pass by a person suffering and say to ourselves, “Well I gave on Sunday so I have done my duty!”

That is not to say supporting those programs is a bad thing but we can always do more. We can donate of our time to lift the spirits of those suffering, serve them, and/or a myriad of other acts that show Christ-like love for them.

In Mathew 24:34-40 we read:

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:


35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:


36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.


37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?


38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?


39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?


40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

In order for us to truly serve others as the Savior would, we must come to realize that it is our responsibility, not the governments to care for them. At this time of year when we celebrate His birth, let us remember those around us who are poor in spirit or substance and endeavor to show them the gift of the Savior’s love.


No comments: